Activity depends on Fedora-packaged binary code

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Mon Dec 10 23:31:26 EST 2007

Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Asheesh Laroia wrote:
>
>> I suppose I'll have to include a libraptor.so.1 in my own .xo's lib/
>> directory.  Is the normal(ish) way to do this by just unpacking the RPM
>> and yoinking the Fedora-compiled .so and jamming that file into my .xo?
>
> This is my understanding.  As long as it's just one library,
> it isn't a big problem.  I have a friend who is packaging
> 5MB of Mono libraries for an activity written in C#.
>
> This thing obviously doesn't scale and in the long term we
> may end up reinventing a full blown package manager with
> dependency tracking, plus tools like apt for downloading
> and installing them.

I've spent a fair amount of time with both "yum" and "apt" and I fail to
see any "superiority" of apt over yum. Then again, my main distro is
Gentoo, and I *know* Portage (and recompiling everything on an XO) isn't
going to scale. :)

But seriously, does the XO really need two package managers? What's
wrong with Fedora/RPM/yum? Do people really need to spend ergs on
supporting Debian?