Activity depends on Fedora-packaged binary code

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Tue Dec 11 00:46:06 EST 2007

>> This thing obviously doesn't scale and in the long term we may end up
>> reinventing a full blown package manager with dependency tracking, plus
>> tools like apt for downloading and installing them.
>
> But seriously, does the XO really need two package managers? What's
> wrong with Fedora/RPM/yum? Do people really need to spend ergs on
> supporting Debian?

Neither APT/dpkg/deb nor yum/.rpm toolkits have, that I know of, any kind
of support in them right now that would let them work safely with
something like Bitfrost/Rainbow/security domains.

This is, obviously, a pretty important thing for Linux in general, across
all distributions, and particularly for projects like OLPC.

Some wheel-reinvention may go on, possibly more than once, before dust
settles and folks agree on a common solution that is more than just a
one-off hack to support OLPC.

[Something like Conary, or IPS, or whatever someone finally does the
legwork to make extensible into bitfrost/rainbow-land.... I suppose there
could be considered to be an arms race of getting the technology worked
out to do the right things with minimal hassle :-)]

--e