Activity depends on Fedora-packaged binary code

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Dec 10 17:56:44 EST 2007

Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> I suppose I'll have to include a libraptor.so.1 in my own .xo's lib/
> directory.  Is the normal(ish) way to do this by just unpacking the RPM
> and yoinking the Fedora-compiled .so and jamming that file into my .xo?

This is my understanding.  As long as it's just one library,
it isn't a big problem.  I have a friend who is packaging
5MB of Mono libraries for an activity written in C#.

This thing obviously doesn't scale and in the long term we
may end up reinventing a full blown package manager with
dependency tracking, plus tools like apt for downloading
and installing them.

 "We learn from history that we learn nothing from history."
   - George Bernard Shaw

> (I could just statically compile the libraptor dependencies into my
> shipped binary code also, I suppose, but I'd rather not consider that
> option.)

Static linking is being quickly phased out from all Linux
distros.  In OS X, static linking against system libraries
is no longer allowed.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/