Activity depends on Fedora-packaged binary code

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Mon Dec 10 18:29:33 EST 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:

> Asheesh Laroia wrote:
>
>> I suppose I'll have to include a libraptor.so.1 in my own .xo's lib/
>> directory.  Is the normal(ish) way to do this by just unpacking the RPM
>> and yoinking the Fedora-compiled .so and jamming that file into my .xo?
>
> This is my understanding.  As long as it's just one library, it isn't a
> big problem.  I have a friend who is packaging 5MB of Mono libraries for
> an activity written in C#.

That person is still your friend? (-;

> This thing obviously doesn't scale and in the long term we may end up
> reinventing a full blown package manager with dependency tracking, plus
> tools like apt for downloading and installing them.

Right.  Let me note here that apt is flexible on packaging formats in the
backend, as apt4rpm has shown.  There's no need to reinvent it, and I
think there are some stealth Debian fans sometimes hiding in 1CC....

> Static linking is being quickly phased out from all Linux
> distros.  In OS X, static linking against system libraries
> is no longer allowed.

Well, libraptor is clearly not a "system library" since it's not
installed! (-:  But I agree, static linking sucks, and I'm happy to avoid
that route entirely.

-- Asheesh.

--
<Omnic> another .sig addition