alternate h/w for devel use?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sat Dec 1 21:58:53 EST 2007

On 02/12/2007, at 1:28 AM, imm wrote:
> I just wondered if anyone who knows the xo hardware well, would be
> able to express an opinion as to whether this might be an option, for
> those of us outside the G1G1 geographical area, to do a little
> software development of our own, without eating in to the supply of
> developer machines?

The differences between the linutop and the xo are considerable,
especially in relation to the display controller (DCON), but also in
terms of power management, keyboard, e-book position sensing, and so
on.  The memory is likely to be different type, therefore bandwidth.
There is no internal jffs2 NAND flash.

I wouldn't bother.  Spend your time on emulation, and ask for testing
by those who have target hardware.  If you send me a test plan, I can
test on B4s.  Once you have generated enough demand for your
software, or have a plan that OLPC can prioritise, you are likely to
get a unit.

--
James Cameron