alternate h/w for devel use?

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Mon Dec 3 10:58:07 EST 2007

On 02/12/07 13:58 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> On 02/12/2007, at 1:28 AM, imm wrote:
> > I just wondered if anyone who knows the xo hardware well, would be
> > able to express an opinion as to whether this might be an option, for
> > those of us outside the G1G1 geographical area, to do a little
> > software development of our own, without eating in to the supply of
> > developer machines?
>
> The differences between the linutop and the xo are considerable,
> especially in relation to the display controller (DCON), but also in
> terms of power management, keyboard, e-book position sensing, and so
> on.  The memory is likely to be different type, therefore bandwidth.
> There is no internal jffs2 NAND flash.

To be fair, he didn't actually ask for any of those things.  The original
poster was more interested in software performance then anything - and
in that regard, the Linutop is very similar to the MP hardware (it even
uses LinuxBIOS, which isn't OFW, granted, but its not propriatary BIOS
evilness either).

I think that would be great to have some version of the Sugar code that
runs on other Geode platforms that are easier to get worldwide.  Sure,
you're not going to get the DCON or other custom XO hardware, but you
will get pretty close - at least close enough to do reasonable work.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer