[OLPC-devel] Battery Charge End Sensing

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Wed Jul 12 19:01:17 EDT 2006

Certainly a software interface would be beneficial for informing the
child of charge state and progress.  Giving them control of charge
progress would also help.

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 01:07:05PM +0200, Frieder Ferlemann wrote:
> So that (a classroom of(!)) OLPC could be configured to have a friendly
> load characteristics for (different types of) power supplies
> (see also http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Battery_and_power )

Yes, I see the problem.  Being capable of taking anything from 5V to 25V
means that current will still be drawn from a 12V shared power source
even if it is overloaded.

If the software could identify proximity to other mesh members that
typically represents an eventual charge, it could back off the charge
rate.  Probably quite a few risks with such an idea though.

Examples of excessive software optimisation: charge the laptop with the
least stored charge first, or charge them all equally in round-robin, or
give preference to the one with the highest mesh forwarded packet count?

"If you leave your laptop antennae up overnight, you'll increase your
chances of a good charge."  ;-)