code signing/secure boot sequence (Re: [OLPC-devel] Re: wireless/libertas: miscellaneous fixes)

James Morris jmorris at redhat.com
Tue Jul 11 10:47:21 EDT 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> 2. It all feels pretty orwellian to me.  We're building a free system
> here, I want that freedom to extend to the install experience as well.
> If someone comes along and builds a better mousetrap OLPC experience,
> they should be allowed to install it.

It's possible to provide a strong security infrastructure without limiting
any freedoms, by letting the end users choose what level of security
assurance they want deployed.

That is, the presence of security features doesn't automatically mean they
have to be enabled or configured in any particular way, and in fact, can
empower the users to choose to protect their systems as they see fit.

The project could possibly offer a selection of security profiles, along
with the other available customizations.

- James
--
James Morris
<jmorris at redhat.com>