code signing/secure boot sequence (Re: [OLPC-devel] Re: wireless/libertas: miscellaneous fixes)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Tue Jul 11 17:39:41 EDT 2006

I'd say (wrt to wanting a copy of the same software set as your
trusted friend has), what you want is a copy of what your friend
thinks he has.  (Not what he actually has as that could include
viruses etc).  ie you want a way to receive packages store-and-forward
via relatively untrusted machines, such that they cant be modified
without changing their authorship.

So I think one should be able to do that no?  (Get a copy of what he
thinks he has) if there is some packager or author authentication.  So
if you get firefox-1.5.i386.rpm it will be unmodified.

So in practice the user would have no reason to tamper with his .rpm
cache directory (no reason rebuild rpms with software patches eg), so
it should not fail.

Now obviously a user could cause it to fail intentionally, but they
can do that anyway, even without code signing.

About the definition of trust -- its true SSL particularly is crappy
as it means you end up with someone -- like the CAs -- being trusted
by everyone.  But with RPM it is actually signed with PGP, so there is
a web of trust.  Perhaps a distributor or package builder can at least
sign the binaries they produce?  (Its sort of what happens, if I
subscribe to yum repo of livna or other add ons, its up to me to check
their keys or live with the warnings about unverified signatures;
similarly to tolerate installing unsigned rpms if I choose).

Adam