[OLPC-devel] Weekly work summary [week 5/12]

mharriso at student.umass.edu mharriso at student.umass.edu
Sun Jul 2 22:42:18 EDT 2006

eBook External Data Sources
http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/soc-eds
git://dev.laptop.org/projects/soc-eds

Status update
I have nearly the entire Project Gutenberg catalog converted to XML for
searching, except for a few bugs/special cases for the etexts numbered < 10,001.
 I have some rudimentary search capabilities in place...you can search the
catalog for a string, and it will return every line matching that string,
without concern for author/title/etc.  This creates a small list of results
which I plan to pass to an XML parser to create the finalized results.  Python
continues to amaze me with its ability to very quickly work with strings.

I also made some changes to the eBook format discussion, etc.

Next week's plans
I'll be going to OLPC's offices in Cambridge along with Eric Astor.  I hope to
work out the kinks in converting PG's catalog to XML, and create the XML parser
for searching.  Since ICDL's website (http://www.icdlbooks.org) also gives
search results in XML format, I hope to be able to generalize some of the search
functions.

-Matthew Harrison