[OLPC-devel] Weekly work summary [week 5/12]

Eric Astor eastor1 at swarthmore.edu
Sun Jul 2 18:41:49 EDT 2006

Summer of Code progress report: week #5/12

1. Project name          : OEPC (One Encyclopedia Per Child)
2. One-line description  : OEPC tools, including ranking (and hopefully
export) utilities
3. Git tree (web)        : http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/soc-oepc
4. Git tree (git)        :  git://dev.laptop.org/projects/soc-oepc

5. Status update
I spent most of the week rebuilding the ranking utility in Python, in
something closer to its final form - call it version 0.1-alpha. It now
includes the SQL scripting to resolve all links to their eventual targets,
and is controllable from the command line. It tests out well against my
local copy of the Simple English Wikipedia database, completing a default
run in about 30 minutes. The latest version will be uploaded to the
repository in a few minutes.

6. Next week's plans
I'll be visiting the OLPC offices in Boston for the second half of the week
- beyond this, my plans are currently non-specific. I'm currently trying to
work out whether I'll be doing the export utility for OEPC as well, as Dr.
Ian Kennedy appears to have someone else interested in this. Besides this, I
may experiment with writing a version of the ranking utility in the form of
MySQL stored procedures - this should cut down on the memory consumption at
some unknown performance cost, making it possible to rank the full English
Wikipedia without having 20 GB of free RAM.