[OLPC-devel] Weekly work summary [week 5/12]

Nitin Gupta nitingupta.mail at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 09:54:54 EDT 2006

Hi,

This is weekly work summary for Compressed Caching work [week 5/12].

This week I worked mainly on implementing compression structure (as on
wiki). Currently, it compresses pages (using any of 3 algos) and
stores it in chunks. It can expand on-demand and can break existing
chunks to exactly fit in compressed data. So, essentially it is 0
fragmentation storage. It has problem of having (large?) metadata
overhead but by merging adjacent chunks (on which I'm currently
working), this problem can be mitigated. Also worked out to shrink
'struct chunk' further by few bytes -- I do not hope to implement this
now but at least I have the way :)

It is currently being implemented as a separate module to separate it,
for now, with rest of ccaching details. I will fine tune it here, have
some perf numbers, more fine tune it and then will get it into
mainstream.

This work is delayed by few days. I hope to post this 'storage-test'
module on CompressedCaching/Code by Wed.

I found some problems with vswap implementation as in 'flux' branch. I
will fix them once this module is working.

Cheers,
Nitin Gupta