[OLPC-devel] A little confused on using the Qemu Images ...

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Tue Aug 8 23:38:53 EDT 2006

Burnsmi wrote:
> First make sure you are using the latest *stable* build, not
> necessarily the latest nightly build. The latest stable is build 55
> [1].

I just updated this to build59.  Build59 fixes illegal instruction
problems in sysctl which a lot of people were seeing in qemu and seems
like it works pretty well otherwise.

> I haven't tried SuSe, so it may or may not work. Fedora works 'out of
> the box', but Ubuntu has some issues with the version of Qemu it ships
> with. If you get it working, please add any notes to the OLPC wiki
> [2], for use by other people.

It _kind_ of works out of the box. :)  The instructions show how
exciting it is.

We actually have a slightly different system in mind for developers
doing installs on the hardware that fit into the hardware profile.
Instead of trying to use the installer we can take one of the images
that we have, create a file system on the target drive, copy over a raw
image from your install media, resize the filesystem online and then use
that base system to bootstrap it.  There are some advantages to doing it
that way, not the least of which is that it's easier to keep the
filesystem and download sizes small.

--Chris