[OLPC-devel] A little confused on using the Qemu Images ...

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Sun Aug 6 15:32:37 EDT 2006

Michael Reith wrote on Sat, 5 Aug 2006 21:28:25 +1000

> Is it supposed to be possible to run the Qemu images pretty much
> anywhere, or is the actual laptop hardware required?

Those who have the actual hardware don't need Qemu, right? I am using
Qemu 0.7.2 on a Pentium 4 machine with Gentoo and the accelerator.

> [problems]

I was having the same problems and found out that the dhcp server was
silently failing so the network wasn't being properly initialized. After
patching /etc/qemu-ifup-sudo to add "ddns-update-style interim;" at the
start of the dhcpd configuration file the image indicated as the latest
working one when I checked the wiki
(olpc-stream-development-55-20060801_1126-ext3.img) actually worked even
though there were a some error messages about a bad lock during the eth0
setup phase of the boot. I always have to remember to "sudo chmod 666
/dev/net/tun" before using Qemu the first time.

Previously I had downloaded
olpc-stream-development-7-20060609_1600-ext3.img since that is what was
used in the Qemu example on the wiki and that also works for me. When I
was still having the network problems I also tried 42 and 45 and they
mostly work like 55 but tend to crash while the latter doesn't seem to.

On the 16th I will be giving a talk about OLPC and want to show some
demos. I was thinking of using Qemu but am not sure if these images I
mentioned above have the latest versions of Sugar (I would expect the
current focus to be on low level things). The chat from 7 seems to be
missing from 42 to 55, for example. Would it be better for me to try to
get Sugar running natively on Gentoo and show that instead?

-- Jecel