[OLPC-devel] Re: OLPC need to do something on VGA speed :(

supat at supat.eu.org supat at supat.eu.org
Sun Aug 6 22:04:51 EDT 2006

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006, Jordan Crouse wrote:

> On 06/08/06 05:57 -0800, supat at supat.eu.org wrote:
>> telnet 158.108.200.198 110
>> login: zxc
>> passwd: love4linux
>
> That won't do me any good, since I can't see the display, no could I hear
> any sound.

That is to verify that I put in correctly amd driver and machine do have
other correct environment.

>> I am sure I did not do any thing wrong.
>>
>> OLPC do has problem on VGA with sound speed.
>
> Please stop using the term VGA.  VGA is not an issue here.  And it certainly
> doesn't relate to "sound speed".

In my sense, it was related.
Because I compare it to my old pc (pentium 90) that has 32 MB RAM, fast
s3, old SB16 ISA sound. But it can play huge .swf from browser w/o
problem. Ofcause it has problem playing huge .mpg
I have experiance slow VGA cannot play huge movies.
In my diagnosis problems related to VGA, wireless and sound.
w/o sound huge movies in .swf and .mpg play smoothly w/o problem.

If OLPC cannot do the job that old pentium 90 can  then how can we say
to the children.

>> w/o enable sound then huge .swf and .mpg can be played by mozilla w/o
>> problem.
>
> Can you point us to the "huge" .mpg you are using?

Huge .swf that will eat 338 MB RAM is on my first web:

http://supat.eu.org/

I used it to test OLPC

Huge .mpg that I use to test Mplayer is:

http://supat.eu.org/~supat/intro/mov00001.mpg

Most pc cannot play above two movies from the network browser.

My old pc (pentium 90) can play http://supat.eu.org/ but not
http://supat.eu.org/~supat/intro/mov00001.mpg

>> If I play OLPC with sound then in few minutes after playing huge .swf (338
>> MB) then the network will crash. And I have to do follow command:
>
> You keep bringing up this "network crash".  That seems to be a different
> issue unrelated to either "VGA" or "sound speed".  I suggest we remove this
> from the equation for now.  Don't worry about the .swf and worry more about

I don't think so.
Because you suggest me to use amd driver and I did test it.

I don't worry on .swf because OLPC can play small .swf w/o problem.
Most pc can do it too.

> MPEGs playing locally.   I'm going to go ahead right now and tell you that

Yes. this is bigger problem.
So far I did not test it. I test it only playing from the server and port
the movies to old pc and OLPC.

I did not put Mplayer on OLPC yet.
I will try it soon.
But another problem is no huge movie can put in locally because I have
only 1 GB usb drive and no usb CD.

How I can put 400 MB .mpg on OLPC locally ?

> currently, you are probably not going to be able to play a 10mbit/sec at
> 1024x768 and not expect trouble.  Xv will help eliminate some of those

The speed of wireless OLPC is 54 mb and I can ftp at speed 3.3e03
While local 100 mb LAN can ftp at 1.2e04

This is different between old pc on local LAN and OLPC.

> problems, and we're definitely going to have codec optimizations in our
> future.   If videos of this size and quality are your goal, then please,
> help us improve Xv or start profiling codecs to help us optimize them.

I cannot help in that matter.
What I can help is to find solution from other techniques.
But firstly we have to find out what is the real problem.
And now I doubt problem are because of slow graphic speed due to using
SRAM as VGA RAM

regards,
supat