[OLPC-devel] Re: Not so good news (Was: good news)
smithbone at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 16:27:15 EDT 2006
> stage 1 -- we go with nrv assuming it works ok in my tests. I'm in no
> rush to do this, however, because i want to get olpcflash done first.
> stage 2 -- lzma. linuxbios gets really cleaned up for lzma.
Mitch correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is in line with what we
decided on in the latter part of the conference call. Ron this was
after you dropped off.
>From the minutes:
Decision: defer compression changes until after beta, to reduce risk.
Focus on functionality first. Put TCP module in NAND FLASH for now.
First step: make it possible to program SPI ROM.
So IIUC this means we ned to focus on getting SPI flashing working.
Thats one of the critical blockers to BTest.
Next is to focus on the things that come out in the boot requirements
doc that JG and Ray are producing for us.
If those requirements dictate that we need the extra compression then
so be it but as for now the extra compression is in the "nice to have"
category and not something that we want to add before the BTest freeze
date. Which is still TBD but coming up pretty quickly.
By all means though, don't stop working on the additional compression.
That appears to be a very promising way we can make the full wishlist
of having a TCP/IP stack in the boot kernel.
Richard A. Smith
More information about the Devel