[OLPC-devel] Minutes: BIOS teleconference Wednesday Evening Boston Time.

Carl-Daniel U. Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Aug 3 18:41:58 EDT 2006

Mitch Bradley wrote:
> Minutes for OLPC BIOS meeting, 2006-08-02, taken by Mitch Bradley

Unfortunately, I was unable to participate in the call. My apologies.

> ** LinuxBIOS status:
>
> Data compression: Need to get back a couple of K.  Can save 20K by
> compressing a different way.
>
> We really want to do LZMA compression, which would be even better.

Yes. LZMA should give us an additional 120-180k saving.

> ** Kernel code base:
>
> ** Config file to use for LinuxBIOS
>
> Need LZMA and NAND driver ... and then CaFe NAND driver.

I'm working on LinuxBIOS LZMA support and have a preliminary patch availble.

> ** Compression status / TCP/IP stack status / wireless install?
>
> Kernel mods for LZMA are available.

CAUTION! The existing kernel mods for LZMA can't work with LinuxBIOS due to design decisions taken while writing these mods. We really have to do this in LinuxBIOS.

> Decision: defer compression changes until after beta, to reduce risk.

That is very unfortunate. The compression changes happen in two steps:
1. Change infrastructure to support payload compression
2. Change the compression algorithm to lzma

The first step is already merged in current LinuxBIOS and should work fine. Giving it some testing would make sure the infrastructure is solid.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel