[olpc-help] Xfce: first steps?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Mon Jan 14 21:08:28 EST 2008

7150 wrote:

> Go here for a never-ending story on this topic and links to the real
> brains: www.litenverden.org
>
> Mine is working just fine with Xfce.
> ---
> http://www.litenverden.org

Any particular reason why a fairly heavy desktop like XFCE4, as opposed
to one of the ultralights like IceWM, FluxBox or Gnustep Windowmaker?
When I abandoned Gnome and KDE a couple of years ago, I ran XFCE4.2 for
a while. But when XFCE4.4 betas started to come out, they seemed only
slightly lighter weight than Gnome.

So I tried most of the really lightweight desktops/window managers,
ranging from glorified XTerm switchers to Afterstep, etc. I ended up
torn between Enlightenment and WindowMaker, but I went with WindowMaker
and I'm still on it.