[olpc-help] Xfce: first steps?

7150 linux.1 at litenverden.com
Mon Jan 14 17:38:11 EST 2008

7150 wrote:
> Ace_NoOne wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After first getting my XO (G1G1), I was a bit disappointed with the Sugar interface (too limiting for regular PC users like myself). So I was delighted to learn I could use Xfce as window manager instead.
>> (Note: I'm not a Linux expert, but I do know some of the basics. In fact, I want the XO to teach me to use Linux on a regular basis and thus ditch Windows altogether, eventually.)
>>
>> So I installed Xfce as described on the wiki (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Xfce), which was surprisingly easy.
>>
>> However, now I'm wondering what I need to configure (and how) in order to get the most out of it with the XO.
>> For example, setting up a battery indicator, mapping the special keys (e.g. screen backlight control, directional pads on the monitor), configuring the built-in camera etc.
>> Could anyone who's done this give me some hints, or maybe even a checklist of sorts?
>>
>> Also, I couldn't figure out how to properly set the timezone to UTC (this guide (http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Timezone-in-Linux) didn't really help).
>> But that, as well as similar issues (e.g. configuring WiFi Radar to work with my router) can probably be solved by doing more research online...

> Go here for a never-ending story on this topic and links to the real
> brains: www.litenverden.org
>
> Mine is working just fine with Xfce.
> ---
> http://www.litenverden.org

I just finished updating my Xfce on XO blog post. If you plan to follow
it, make sure you check for the latest version. I change the post date
after I've messed with it. It is a work in progress.

My XO is running Xfce and WiFi Radar. The brightness keys work. I
working on the volume keys now. I think they will work, but I have not
tested.

--

---
http://www.litenverden.org