[olpc-help] clarifying how to restore

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Wed Jan 9 21:59:20 EST 2008

Timothy,

When your system boots, it boots into either a 'primary' or an
'alternate' image. These images are stored in places like
'/versions/run/650' and '/versions/run/<some_hash>'.

They contain the entire filesystem except for the contents of /home and
/security, which live elsewhere and are bind-mounted into place during
the system boot sequence.

(To support a future feature called P_SF_RUN, we also keep 'pristine'
copies of the filesystem at /versions/pristine/*. Originally, these
trees were kept pristine with a 'copy-on-write link-breaking' annotation
which, due to some unforseen filesystem interactions, was withdrawn
pending a rewrite.)

Let me know if you'd like more details.

Michael