[olpc-help] clarifying how to restore

Chih-yu Chao chihyu at mit.edu
Wed Jan 9 11:56:18 EST 2008

Hi Timothy,

On Jan 9, 2008 11:30 AM, tdang <community-support at lists.laptop.org> wrote:

> Hi Chih-yu
>
> I got my guidance from http://www.hackszine.com/blog/archive/2008/01/howto_upgrade_the_xo_laptops_o.html

Just for future reference, the OLPC team are actively updating the
official FAQ page on a daily basis:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_FAQ
You can get the latest, workable solutions there. :)

> ...but I only used a tiny part of that. I updated by:
>

> Code:
>
> su -
> olpc-update 653
>

> Very simple. Is the trouble that olpc-update replaces everything with 653?

Performing olpc-update 653 should not do harm to the previously
installed image (i.e. build 650). Power up the machine by holding down
the O key of the game pad (locate it under the right speaker). This
should bring you back to build 650.

> Here's another thing I'm not clear on. When talking about having alternate and/or pristine versions of the OS, does that include Sugar? The changes I was making were in /usr/share/sugar/shell/view/home. I don't know if that falls under OS for these purposes or not.

I am not sure about this. Could someone on the forum/mailing list
answer this question? :)

Thanks a lot!
Chih-yu