[olpc-help] ejabberd server interaction

Wilson Farrell wilsonfarrell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 10:45:12 EST 2008

Hi all:
I have been struggling with setting up my own ejabberd server inside my
home network.  I did this just to try a few things out.  The public
servers (such as xochat.org) were just too crowded.  Before anyone asks,
I did follow the instructions at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ejabberd_Configuration .
After much gnashing of teeth and lessons learned (I plan to update the
wiki as soon as I get a few of the kinks worked out),  I got things
mostly working.

Before I explain my current issue, I must say that I am not sure if what
I am seeing (or not seeing) is the expected behavior.

I am running two XO's as clients and one fedora 7 (not XO) as the
ejabberd server.  One XO is an actual OLPC laptop and the other runs in
emulation in VMWare.  The ejabberd server is also in VMWare.  Both XO's
are running version 653. (I upgraded the laptop)  As far as my problem
goes, it does not seem to make a difference if I am running a real XO or
an emulated one.

Both XO clients can see each other in the neighborhood view.  Getting
that far was a struggle, but it now works reliably.  I can "make
friends" with each other, but that seems to do nothing except bring the
other XO into the group view.  When XO_1 opens an activity and shares it
with the neighborhood, XO_2 does  not see the shared activity (e.g., a
shared chat session) in its neighborhood view.  Actually what happens is
that the position of the XO_1's icon moves (as if it is being refreshed)
on the XO_2's neighborhood view.  It is not until I "invite XO_2 to
Chat" that it appears on XO_2's neighborhood view.  Then I can
collaborate.  However, once I stop the activity on XO_2 (not XO_1, the
XO sharing the activity), it disappears from XO_2's neighborhood view again.

The question is "Should I expect to see shared resources of other XO's
in my neighborhood view without being explicitly invited to them?"  If
not, then that is not what I am seeing on public servers such as
xochat.org.  If I am having a problem, would this be a problem with my
server configuration or my XO software.

I can provide more details about configuration, etc., but I did not want
to as I was not sure this was the best forum.

Thanks,

Wilson