[olpc-help] OpenOffice Files in Write Activity?

Ron Atkins ron.11235 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 17:12:30 EST 2008

Rick,

I see on the "save menu" that OLPC's AbiWord supports RTF, HTML, and
TXT. Of the three, RTF (Rich Text Formatting) is your best choice for
format retention (note: if your images are not embedded, you will need
to copy them over separately, and possibly reconnect them from inside
your new RTF document). Remember, when you save your OO document as an
RTF file, you will have 2 files: the original OpenOffice (.odt?) and the
RTF. Be careful that future edits are on the correct file (your son may
need guidance with that concept). The RTF will (probably) strip out some
of OpenOffice's formatting, so check the results on the OLPC before
committing. BTW: I've never met a Word Processor that could keep up with
HTML. It's OK for simple stuff, but I would hesitate before trying to
produce anything fancy in that format.