[olpc-help] OpenOffice Files in Write Activity?

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Thu Jan 3 17:43:08 EST 2008

We got an XO for our 10-year-old son for Christmas. He had been
working on some documents in OpenOffice on our home computer, and we'd
like to transfer them to his XO. They are currently saved in .odt
format, with embedded images as well as text.

I copied one of the documents to a USB thumb drive, then copied it
into the Journal. I tried to "resume" the document from the Journal,
and it appeared to try to start the Write activity. But the Write
activity seems to just hang at "Starting". The next time I tried it, I
started terminal, and then watched what was going on with the "top"
command. The Write activity consumed most of the processor, and when
it stopped, a "ps aux" showed that the Write process was "defunct".

Is there a way to move his documents over without losing the
formatting? Will he be able to continue working on the documents
without re-creating them from scratch?

I know the Write activity is based on AbiWord...can it open/edit
OpenOffice files? Is there a format that OpenOffice can write that the
Write activity can open and edit?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Rick