[olpc-help] Printing with SD Card?

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 15:05:16 EST 2008

So the XO-translation of this question would be:
"How do I get a file onto the SD card such that this HP printer will
recognise it as
a file to print, and then offer to print it?"

and then

"How do I get the XO to create that file?"

I'm presuming you have a case where putting an SD card into the printer
results in an offer to print. Perhaps as a result of using the SD in a
digital camera?
- What format is the file on the SD card?  Probably JPEG, but verify that.
- If you keep the directory structure the same but replace the file with a
new one of the same type of file, will it work with the new file, or is
there other metadata which must be adjusted?
- Can the XO generate this kind of file?
- Can the XO be 'encouraged' to put the file onto the SD card?

If you can work through that maze, you have a roadmap.

On Jan 4, 2008 2:54 PM, Kate Davis <katie at belisle.org> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm staring at my HP PSC 1610 with all the camera card slots, especially
> the SD slot, and I wonder if some enterprising linux coder has figured
> out a way to "write" files in a format compatible with this machine.
>
> It would be great to take a few files from the XO via flash drive or SD
> card and print to one of these pictureprinters.
>
> The HP docs are void of any definition of the format, although it
> mentions specifically that JPEG is supported for card printing while
> TIFF is not. Is it just jpeg or is there an actual pictbridge format?
>
> The HP firmware states that only pictbridge camera devices can be
> connected to the front usb successfully. Again, I wonder if there is a
> hack to read a flash drive.
>
> I have an extra HP1510, too, that I was going to freecycle, but I'll
> give it to anyone who wants to mess about with this. I am in Connecticut.
>
> -Kate

Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com