[olpc-help] internet

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 12:05:57 EST 2008

Hi Sue-

Start at the "Connecting" tab of the Getting Started guide:
-   http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/connecting.shtml

If you aren't getting a white circle for "your" access point, then you
probably do have a network connectivity problem.

Network connectivity is one of the things which was much improved in
the 656 release, so if you haven't already upgraded to 656, it is
strongly recommended.

Detailed steps are covered on the Ipgrade Paths page:
-   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Update_paths

I'd recommend:
1. get on-line somehow. You might have better success at a T-mobile
hot spot or by using free wireless access at a public library.
Remember to bring your power adapter as you'll need to have it
plugged-in to complete the upgrade.

2. Use the Terminal activity to run:
  olpc-update -rv 656

3. Allow the XO to reboot and you should fine network connectivity much easier.

Let us know how it went , and write back if you have any questions.