[olpc-help] Enable Wifi & Mesh

John Santini, Jr. jsantinijr at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 21:45:22 EST 2008

Dear OLPC Community Support,

I have recently received two XO laptops.  My kids love them and have been
doing a great job of learning to use them and using the built-in mesh
networking to share the applications with each other.  I would like to allow
them access to our home Wifi as well and understand from the Wifi
Overview<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Connectivity#Overview>that
this not supported by the default configuration.  I'm wondering if it
is safe for me to simply point eth0 to my access point while the two XOs are
meshed together (with iwconfig eth0 ...).  I can see my access point in the
neighborhood view but am not given any option to connect (also I have WEP
enabled on my radio but it looks straighforward enough to add the key to the
iwconfig line).  Anyhow, if I do this, will I cause problems for the mesh?
What will happen when they leave our home area?  Will I have to do something
similar when we go to a wireless hotspot?  Anyhow, any help you can offer
would be greatly appreaciated.

Thank you VERY much!

VR,

   -John

--- Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an axe.
http://www.jsantini.org
John Santini, Jr.
85 Red Oak Way
Wakefield, RI  02879
(401) 789-8108 HOME
(860) 287-3181 CELL
jsantinijr at gmail.com E-Mail
UNIX - Those guys thought of everything.