[olpc-help] Keyboard issues - stuck keys, keys registering erroneously

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Sat Dec 29 22:48:57 EST 2007

The message below describes my problem. I received the OPLC on the 22nd, and since then have had the keyboard freeze three times. It is currently frozen, and nothing I have tried has helped the problem.

This has included the four finger salute, in all combinations and in all sequences, as well as shutting down and restarting, as well as rebooting.

I have also tried the manual upgrade to build 653, but continue to receive "Command not found" when I type in olpc-update 653

I also had problems with the trackpad, (relative humidity is approximately 60%). It is extremely erratic, returns to the lower right corner, and all in all is useless.

I am able to plug in and use external trackball and external keypad.

Because I plan to send this computer to a charity outside the US, I cannot send it in this condition. It is worse than a broken toy.

Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Anthony Mournian
AnthonyMournian at san.rr.com

[quote="OCA|"]I received my G1G1 laptop on Friday, and after extensive use, a problem with the keyboard has developed. When doing the OFW test-all procedure, I was able to determine what is happening: when pressing a key, another key on the keyboard may register in addition to that one. This frequently becomes the CTRL key, causing all sorts of unintended behavior in applications. In addition, keys sometimes will stick, continuing to register when they are no longer depressed.

While I doubt this is a software issue, I did first notice this after doing 'olpc-update joyride-1467'. Since then, I have done 'olpc-update 650' and the problem persists. I may try an activated upgrade next.

This does not occur on USB keyboards plugged in to the machine.

I imagine this will require e-mailing help at laptop dot org and possibly an RMA, but I figure documenting it here would not hurt in the event others run into the same problem, or a simple, user applied fix is found.[/i]

-OCA|[/quote][i][/i][/i]