[olpc-help] I bricked an XO

Jeffrey LePage jeffrey_lepage at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 11:44:30 EST 2007

Hi,

Can anyone direct me to some help on how to fix a
really messed-up XO.

I managed to more-or-less completely fill up the
filesystem. As a result, the system no longer boots.
When I try to boot I get as far as the initial splash
(with the xo stick figure).  I don't even get as far
as the little dots that run around the stick-figure
during the boot.

I know that the file system is nearly full because I
did a "df -k " before I (stupidly) did a shutdown.
Now I can't get it to boot.

How did I fill up the file system?  I was trying to
play a 200MB ogg-theora file on the browser from an
external usb drive.  I've done this before with
smaller ogg files. When the usb is inserted you can
access it from the journal.  Once this is done you can
click on the file and the journal gives you the option
of using the browser to watch videos.  Apparently
something about this process causes lots of stuff to
be written to the internal file system. Does the ogg
file get written to the internal drive?  I looked for
it, but my cursory examination failed to find the ogg
file on the internal drive.

Any help would be appreciated.