Jumpy mouse problem

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Sun Dec 23 02:05:20 EST 2007

soffen wrote:

> Thanks for looking into this.  The jumping of the mouse pointer makes
> the OLPC impossible to use most of the time we've tried it.  The
> mouse pointer continues to jump all over the screen even if we put
> the computer aside without touching it at all for an hour.  At times,
> the mouse pointer does not jump as much, allowing the computer to be
> used minimally (and with difficulty) for a while.  The problem occurs
> randomly, sometimes worse after rebooting and sometimes develops
> after starting almost normally.

Letting it sit won't help.  In fact letting it sit sometimes seems to
cause the worst of the the (various) conditions.

> Richard, if you now think this is a hardware problem, would you
> recommend that we call customer service and arrange to return the
> unit?

Not at this time.  We hope to fix it with software.  You can help
however.  The problem is very hard for us to reproduce.  And people who
bring us laptops that are "totally usable" often find that when they get
to the OLPC office they work fine.

If you have a laptop that has the problem consistently then requesting a
developer key so you can run test kernels would be a huge help.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child