[olpc-help] Jumpy mouse problem

extempore community-support at lists.laptop.org
Fri Dec 28 10:29:34 EST 2007

richard at laptop.org wrote:
> soffen wrote:
>
> Not at this time.  We hope to fix it with software.  You can help
> however.  The problem is very hard for us to reproduce.  And people who
> bring us laptops that are "totally usable" often find that when they get
> to the OLPC office they work fine.

I received two OLPCs last week (both still running the software they shipped with) and they both exhibit this jumpy mouse problem, so I'd be surprised if you can't reproduce it eventually.  It's a pretty serious problem - I can't even shut the machine down normally once it happens because I can't get the mouse pointer where I want it.

Since I only recently realized the machine doesn't really sleep, I've been shutting the lid.  I have primarily (possibly exclusively) seen the jumpy mouse after having the lid shut for a while.

I don't have time at the moment to install a development kernel, but I'll give this more attention in january if it's still unresolved.  Also, I strongly doubt it's a hardware problem, which is good because I'd be bummed to have two lemons.