[olpc-community-support] recognizing USB drive and files on it

phigan phigolpc at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 12:09:22 EST 2007

Julie wrote:
> I can't connect to my wireless network but it is security enabled and even though I enter the key, it doesn't work. It appears that's because it's not WPA enabled yet.

Hopefully someone with WPA working will be able to answer this issue, as I do not have access to a WPA encrypted wireless network. I use WEP, and with the development build of the XO os that I'm using, I have to manually configure the connection with iwconfig. You can do a search on the support forum (http://olpc.osuosl.org/forum/) for 'wep' or 'iwconfig' to see other posts on this.

> If I plug in a USB thumb drive I have to reboot before the system recognizes it. Also, I've tried dragging .txt and .jpg files into the journal but it can't seem to read them (they appear in the list but I don't see anything--no preview).

It seems that with the ship build (650), the USB stick does not automatically show up right away. This may be a bug, but it will be undoubtedly fixed with upgrades. I am running a developer build, and the USB stick shows up in Journal as soon as I insert it. Someone else with Build 650 said that their USB stick wasn't showing up right away, but once he plugged AND UNPLUGGED a USB keyboard, the USB stick started to show up in Journal. Perhaps you can try duplicating this :).

- Joe