[olpc-community-support] testing collaboration

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Fri Dec 14 11:32:19 EST 2007

Matt Price wrote:
> So all this leaves me a little discouraged, and i'm hoping for a little
> guidance from the community.  Is there anyone out there who has a really
> solidly-working xo-1 emulation working on a ubuntu system?  if so, would
> you be willing to share your secrets with me? Also, do other folks have
> a sense of the current status of collaboration in the core activities?

I have both ship2 and recent joyride builds successfully running under
VMware Workstation 6. The host is Gentoo Linux, but that doesn't really
matter with VMware. You won't be able to install VMware Tools in the
guest, but it seems to work fine without them.

The process is described on

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Emulating_the_XO

towards the bottom. Email me off list if you want some details (and have
VMware Workstation 6 -- I don't know if any of this magic will work on
older versions.)