[olpc-community-support] testing collaboration

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 02:04:28 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 7:43 AM, Matt Price <matt.price at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> guidance from the community.  Is there anyone out there who has a really
> solidly-working xo-1 emulation working on a ubuntu system?  if so, would
> you be willing to share your secrets with me? Also, do other folks have
> a sense of the current status of collaboration in the core activities?

I can't help with specifics of working emulation as I run sugar-jhbuild
(which builds everything required from source) on Ubuntu, but I know there
are people who have it working. They might not be on this list yet. Keep
trying though!

Collaboration is working for most of the core activities: Chat, Browse
(sharing bookmarks), Write, Record (sharing photos taken *while* shared),
Etoys, Memorize, and I think Calculate. (Possibly others too.)

Collaboration has two modes: via a server over the Internet, with other
people in other locations, which we are not supporting for G1G1 at this time
since we cannot handle the volume of XOs that have been sold on our current
server infrastructure, and "link local" which operates on your local LAN,
which should work fine for your machines, provided that they are not
connected to the server. This means that you should only see your own
machines in the Neighborhood view.

Running a Joyride image in emulation might automatically connect you to the
jabber.laptop.org server, in which case you should run the following in
Terminal to set your emulated Sugar to the same as your XO:
sugar-control-panel -s jabber ship2.jabber.laptop.org

This will prevent it from connecting to the current server, with the result
that your machines will communicate with each other on the LAN without the
server.

Regards
Morgan