[olpc-community-support] testing collaboration

Mitchell N Charity mncharity at vendian.org
Fri Dec 14 22:58:43 EST 2007

Hi Matt.
 > 2) use the standard downloadable qemu images from laptop.org.  Images
 > downloaded fine, and after fiddling a bit to get kqemu to work I cna
 > load the images pretty easily with :
 > qemu -m 256 -kernel-kqemu -soundhw es1370 -net user -net \
 > nic,model=rtl8139 -hda olpc-qemu-image-mika.img
 > however, there's no networking,

I suspect raw networking is working (does the web Browse'r work?), but that
"presence service", which enables collaboration, and populates the mesh view
with peoples' xo's, is not working.

Recent joyride's changed the configured (.sugar/default/config) jabber
server,
which provides presence service, to ship2.jabber.laptop.org.  Which
simply doesn't
yet exist.  This makes some sense, as joyride is a prototype for a
future release.
At which time, it will exist.  But that doesn't help us now, running in
emulation.

The old server configuration was jabber.laptop.org.  It is currently a
bit overloaded
(a performance problem being worked on), and thus sometimes crashes, but is
currently your best bet.  Running
  sugar-control-panel -s jabber jabber.laptop.org
should make the change.

I've updated
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emulating_the_XO#Build_recommendations
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emulating_the_XO/Help_and_tips#Network_startup

One could also hypothetically try running one's own presence service,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Jabber_server , but this is still rather
difficult, and is
very much overkill given your objectives.  I mention it only for
completeness.

The #5163 ticket mentioned previously (getting 1200x900 in qemu, without
having to use Xephyr), is not related to your problem.

Mitchell