[laptop-accessibility] OLPC accessibility for Visually Impaired users

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Fri Nov 28 04:14:33 EST 2008

David,

While screen readers are indeed a proven technology, adding them can be
a surprisingly difficult task - especially depending upon the screen
reading approached used.  All of the "screen scraping" screen readers
(what I call "second generation screen readers") depend upon specific
idiosyncrasies of how graphics rendering is done - and require that (for
example) text rendering go through a single shared bottleneck in order
to find out what that text is and track it in an Off-screen Model.  The
third generation approach is built on top of a platform accessibility
API or set of accessibility services (such as Orca on GNOME using AT-SPI
or VoiceOver on Macintosh).  This requires that the platform in question
make such an API/services and that the apps expose information via that
technique.

The long term expectation for OLPC is that something like the Orca
screen reader would work on top of AT-SPI.  Since Sugar makes use of
many GNOME libraries, this is a natural assumption.  Unfortunately the
inter-process communication mechanism for AT-SPI is CORBA, which is very
heavy-weight and not easily stuffed into the small RAM envelope of
OLPC.  This is being addressed by a project to migrate AT-SPI to DBUS,
which is much lighter weight.  That process/project can be monitored at
it's "web home" at
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/ATK/AT-SPI/AT-SPI_on_D-Bus

Once that is done, it should be possible to bring Orca to the OLPC, at
which point the task(s) will be focused around Sugar and the apps.

Meanwhile, as Jim Gettys points out, it is also possible to stuff a
general Linux + GNOME desktop (+ CORBA + Orca) onto an OLPC, though you
may need to beef it up a bit with flash, etc.  And it'll be rather slow,
and it looses some of what makes OLPC special and interesting at the
software level (so in that case, perhaps what would be better is a
netbook that will run Fedora or Ubuntu or OpenSolaris much better than
you would get with any of those on OLPC hardware).

As to why this work I've described above hasn't already been completed,
with resources dedicated to it by the OLPC project itself (vs. waiting
for the open source community to get around to doing this at a somewhat
slower pace), I'll have to leave that topic to Jim Gettys.  I would
point out from my own experience at (smaller) commercial companies prior
to coming to Sun and working on open source accessibility - you must
always be sensitive to what your customers are telling you they want,
even when you know about needs that those customers may not be asking
about.  Software engineering is something of a zero-sum game: if you are
putting effort in one area, it means that effort can't be going into
some other area.  If you are adding features explicitly requested by
customers, those same staff are probably not available to add features
that customers aren't asking for.  And it is still a bit too rare of a
thing for a customer to place accessibility high on their list of
required features (something Section 508 in the U.S. has been incredibly
helpful in doing for Federal sales in America).  I expect that with
ratification of the U.N. Declaration on the Rights of Disabled Persons
(see http://www.un.org/disabilities/countries.asp?navid=12&pid=166 for
the list of signatory countries and
http://www.un.org/disabilities/documents/maps/enablemap.jpg for a nice
world-map showing signatory status), many more potential OLPC customers
are going to start asking about accessibility, which will help enable
engineers working on Sugar and OLPC generally to bump up the priority of
accessibility work.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect & Principal Engineer,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.