[laptop-accessibility] OLPC accessibility for Visually Impaired users

David K Parker davparker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 22:55:31 EST 2008

In reading more about accessibility and OLPC project, it seems to me that
designing accessibility features into the laptops wasn't a priority. I would
suggest that accessibility needs to be added to the mission statement. Once
this happens I feel that accessibility would be give the proper attention an
resources it deserves.
According to the OLPC wiki
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Our_software#Accessibility>http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Our_software#Accessibility,
" <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Our_software#Accessibility>We've heard that 10%
of the world's population, or more than 600 million people, live with life
altering disabilities, and two thirds of those persons are in developing
countries (UN statistics)"

This would seem to justify incorporating accessibility into the mission
statement.

Again, screen readers are a proven technology. It shouldn't be difficult to
add this functionality. There are more than enough blind kids in the world
to justify this.

I don't mean to offend those working on accessibility for this project. I
think this is a great project but more attention should be given to make the
laptops more accessible.

Thanks,
David