[laptop-accessibility] Screen reader software -- any progress?

Hemant Goyal goyal.hemant at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 12:20:51 EST 2008

Brad,

Maybe we should coordinate our efforts. We are presently working to bring
speech synthesis capabilities on the XO.

We have made significant progress and are documenting our results here :
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Screen_Reader [It is slightly outdated wrt the
DBUS speech server, as we are planning to dump that approach and instead use
speech-dispatcher]

At present Assim Deodia is working to improve the eSpeak phoneme data for
better voice quality/output on the XO, and I am working on integrating
speech-dispatcher in the XO as a means of providing a simple to use speech
synthesis api.

I have opened a Ticket which might interest you :
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6284

Best,
Hemant

This posting is very new and, at the moment, consists only of a block