[laptop-accessibility] Screen reader software -- any progress?

Brad Paulsen brad.paulsen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 19:39:32 EST 2008

Donna,

You may want to look at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Free_speech.  This article is a proposal to enable access to accessibility tools (e.g., speech recognition, speech synthesis) on the XO for all Activities (including Sugar itself) using the GNOME accessibility interfaces.

This posting is very new and, at the moment, consists only of a block diagram of the approach I am proposing.  I have several pages of narrative in the works at the moment and I am hoping to post the first version of it to the Free Speech wiki article sometime this weekend.  In the meantime, please check out the links in the "See also" section of the article.  Those linked-to articles contain links to other speech-related efforts currently underway for the XO (for example, eSpeak).

Cheers,

Brad