[laptop-accessibility] keyboard for the blind

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Oct 23 15:38:20 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 10:53 -0700, Peter Korn wrote:
> Hi Manusheel,
>
> >  Thanks for the idea about using the existent dots on "F", and "J"
> > keys to locate the home row. We are trying to come up on a conclusion
> > whether the existent dots would be sufficient pointers for a child, or
> > do we need more guide dots? Any suggestions/feedback about it will be
> > appreciated.
>
> Please see ISO standard 9241-4 from 1998
> (http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=16876)
> which specifies the tactile requirements for locating keys on a
> keyboard.  I don't know whether this standard was developed by folks who
> had tested with children, or with folks who have diabetes or some other
> issue that diminishes touch sensitivity.
>
> For myself (adult, no diminished tactile sensitivity), the existing dots
> on f & j on the XO prototype I have are just fine.

I am an adult, with likely slightly diminished tactile sensitivity, due
to a (thankfully slowly advancing) neurological condition.

I find the current "dots" slightly hard to feel at times, even on actual
production prototypes we have here.  And the dots are likely to wear
with use.

I suspect we should make them slightly larger.
                                           - Jim

> Regards,
>
> Peter Korn
> Accessibility Architect,