[laptop-accessibility] keyboard for the blind

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Tue Oct 23 13:53:20 EDT 2007

Hi Manusheel,

>  Thanks for the idea about using the existent dots on "F", and "J"
> keys to locate the home row. We are trying to come up on a conclusion
> whether the existent dots would be sufficient pointers for a child, or
> do we need more guide dots? Any suggestions/feedback about it will be
> appreciated.

Please see ISO standard 9241-4 from 1998
(http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=16876)
which specifies the tactile requirements for locating keys on a
keyboard.  I don't know whether this standard was developed by folks who
had tested with children, or with folks who have diabetes or some other
issue that diminishes touch sensitivity.

For myself (adult, no diminished tactile sensitivity), the existing dots
on f & j on the XO prototype I have are just fine.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.