[Wikireader] wikipedia offline reading

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 01:08:05 EDT 2008

M. Galanis today asked me about offline readers that don't require an http
server, but can just be run with a locally executable viewer and no
daemons.  This is a sensible question, since so many offline viewers
(including ksanawiki) /do/ expect you to at least run a local script to play
the 'server' before browsing.  [NTS: we should get at least one ksanaforge
developer to join this list.]

Mel points me to Stian Haklev's almost-completed reader that leaves the
original data in bzip format and takes advantage of its internal indexing:
http://reganmian.net/blog/2008/04/11/screencast-of-wikipedia-offline-zip-doc/
If any of you are into python or ruby hacking and want to lend a hand, I'm
sure it would be appreciated.
I'm copying Stian for completeness, because what's the good of an
all-connecting Interweb if you don't use it?
[Stian: welcome; if you want to get wikireader-related spam, I can add you
to this offline-reader mailing list...]

Yanni, does this do what you had in mind?

Cheers,
SJ