[University-chapters] Uni chapters being reworked

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Mon Dec 15 16:36:21 EST 2008

In case folks didn't catch Jim's weekly news, there was a section you
might be interested in - I was talking with Julia on Friday, and the uni
chapters program (you!) has so impressed them with its results that
they'd like to find ways to give more resources/support/recognition to
school groups.

How can you tell them about what you've been doing?
What do you need/want/want-to-see?
What do you think of what /they're/ doing? (See below, and
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/community-news/2008-December/000160.html).

What questions do you have?

This is your turf, folks. You are the experts. Teach them what you think
they need to know. Over the next month in particular will be a good time
to open up a dialog with Julia and the others at 1cc working on this,
and give them feedback before mid-January when schools get back in
session and things pick up again. I'm online (IRC: mchua, or this email)
in case anyone wants to talk about this, as always.

Hope all is well, and good luck with the end of the semester (where
applicable)!

Cheers,

--Mel

---

Nia, Cynthia and Calestous Juma are helping Julia to develop a new
university program. Please find more info
here:http://wiki.laptop.org/go/University_program.

Judging from the student response to the “Changing the World” talk that
Calestous and Nicholas recently delivered at Harvard, it is clear that
non-technical students are in particular need of some hub or nexus where
they can learn how to volunteer for OLPC, or to provide the XO laptop to
children in their lives.

Students have been major G1G1 participants and advocates. We hope this
page, mailing list and mailing address (students at laptop.org) will
provide them a place where they can share their stories as they empower
and promote OLPC in a self-sustaining long-term way.