[Toronto-dev] [Server-devel] Post XS-0.7 plans (Holt)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Nov 16 12:03:23 EST 2012

On 11/16/2012 10:26 AM, Tim Moody wrote:
> 13. "INSERT DONGLE NOW" warning will appear. While optional, this
> configuration step is critical for those using an USB Ethernet dongle
> to connect to their LAN/Intranet. Type "Y" to continue
>
> How do you envision the architecture?  It sounds like wifi is for WAN
> and USB/Ethernet is for LAN and the XO/server gets an address via dhcp
> over wifi and provides addresses over Ethernet.  What would prevent
> the other XOs from simply acquiring an ip over the same wifi as the
> XO/server and bypassing it for routing/gateway services?  Are you
> thinking there will be two wifi hubs and the WAN one will be password
> protected so that the other XOs can not connect?

During the current installation process, yes, the XO's Wifi/ears are for
WAN (upstream Internet), and USB Ethernet is for LAN (downstream XOs).

EG. this is a very useful default to test an XS quickly/harmlessly in a
school with existing Wifi infrastructure.

But Jerry should clarify several other useful network topologies in
another email later today.

> Can you recommend a compatible USB Ethernet device? (I know there is a
> page on laptop.org, but it is a little dated.)

Most all USB Ethernet devices work in my/our experience, but
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/USB_ethernet_adaptors still has its value. If
it's supported by Fedora 17, it should just work.