[Toronto-dev] Canada OLPC and other news

Michael Mak makamizz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 17:02:53 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

My name is Michael Mak and I am a third year McMaster student (Bachelor of
Health Sciences, Honours - Global Health Specialization) and I am also
currently an intern at K-NET, a First Nations communications and computer
technology company that services the different communities and reserves
across North-western Ontario.  I will be updating and facilitating
discussion on this subscription list regarding OLPC Canada, other Canadian
XO initiatives, and OLPC-like initiatives in Canada.

If you have not already checked, OLPC Canada is now official!  If you have
not visited their impressive site, here it is at: http://www.olpccanada.com/
So far, there hasn't been news on how you can volunteer to help....but I am
sure that if enough people on this list email the director, Wendy Johnson on
asking how they can help, we can definitely find a way to assist in this
great initiative.  Her email is  <mailto:Wendy.Johnson at tbsf.ca>
Wendy.Johnson at tbsf.ca  , so please, everyone send an email that Canadians
like you are ready and willing to help!

I know that there have been two previous Canadian First Nations pilots
(before OLPC Canada) in the communities of Muskrat Dam and Sandy Lake.
However, they have the old 1.0s, and from what I hear (I am planning to
travel there in the next few weeks as well) they are not using them
anymore/many have been stolen or broken.  What K-Net and I would like to do
is revitalize the use of the XOs in this community, reuploading the new OS
and finding a way to springboard this XO initiative again with support from
the OLPC Community.  I will let everyone know when I travel there what we
can all do to help!

Cheers!

Regards,

Michael Mak