[Toronto-dev] Content creation vs content consumption

John Gunkel jgunkel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 10:29:26 EDT 2010

Hi all,

One thing that hit me this morning was that nowhere on the olpccanada
website did I see anything about the ability to capture and share stories.
Fortunately, much work has already been done in this area.

One current example of this is ourstories.org , which evolved from an
interested group of people, and currently hosts stories from several of the
south american deployments. It is aimed squarely at kids from cultures that
come from a culture with rich storytelling traditions, much like in those
communities where olpccanada is deploying their laptops.

Providing these kids the ability and means for them to collect and preserve
their oral heritage passed on from our country's elders is already a
tremendous feat. It is my hope that the dev team will take the extra steps
needed to make it easy for this to happen.

I urge the dev team to maintain the goal for this to be a device not just to
consume books and media, but for our kids to be able to create and share it
as well.

Cheers!
John Gunkel