[Toronto-dev] Democamp14 presentation

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Thu Sep 20 12:51:03 EDT 2007

Jamie McQuay wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I saw a presentation from Mike Fletcher last night at Democamp about
> the OLPC project (excellent talk Mike!)

Thanks.

> I’m wondering if anyone in Toronto is involved with the scientific end
> of the software development. In Mike’s presentation he made reference
> to a “1 dollar microscope”.

I believe Hartwell was planning to work on various instruments and/or
the software to connect to them. The 1 dollar microscope was created by
the project's CTO IIRC. Not sure what the status is on that at the
moment, given how busy she is she's probably handed it off to someone
else to move forward.

> I run a software company in Toronto in which we develop software for
> scientific researchers and instrumentation companies. I would be
> interested in getting touch with any developers who are involved in
> this aspect of the project.

The project is largely virtual, that is, people normally work on what
they are interested in without worrying about where they are. Getting
together is certainly fun (we're thinking of doing a game-development
sprint sometime soon), but you probably don't want to limit yourself to
just those who are local (we're a comparatively small subset of the
project, after all).

Take care,
Mike