[Testing] Tam Tam on the XO-3

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Sat Jan 7 01:37:50 EST 2012

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 2:57 AM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi Scott,
>
> I would love to know more about the Simple Piano Activity. Unfortunately,
> I don't know how to get to it.  Gonzalo's notes say it is to use with Tam
> Tam.  It is hard to see how that would work. Is it a divided screen? You
> really should have access to the controls on the Tam Tam main screen while
> playing. Can you send me a screenshot?

I think we can use it in TamTam MIni in this way:
* Add a button in the toolbar with two states: show piano keyboard or not.
* If not selected, the screen is like is today. the kid can select
different instruments, and use the xo keyboard.
If the user select show the keyboard, arrange the controls in the left side
of the screen, in horizontal at the top of the screen
and show the image of the selected instrument, and below add the keybord.
I think will be useful for touch devices and to do easier to understand the
use of the xo keyboard as a instrument.
The keyboard in the screen can show  the letters in the xo keyboard, the
notes in the american (german) notation,
or the notation used in spain, and south america (DO, RE, MI....)

> Did you see my email about the Tam Tam FLOSS manual I have been working
> on? It has links so you can go take a look at it.  I'll forward a copy to
> all of you in a separate email.  It shows some of the things that can be
> done with Tam Tam.  I tried most of them with students at the Montana
> school where there is a small CP project and with a group of adults in a
> workshop at the SF Summit.
>
> The main difficulty with Tam Tam is actually the use of the XO keyboard
> with the letters on it that don't match up with the note names.

Is true, but match the position of the keys in a piano keyboard.
Try playing any melody in a computer keyboard using the letters as notes
and is impossible.

Gonzalo

People with no musical experience have little difficulty. Musicians, even
> with just a few piano lessons, get very confused.
>
> This is the reason I haven't moved the FLOSS manual to the "publish"
> status yet.  My granddaughter (a 13-year-old violinist) suggested I add an
> Appendix with all of the musical examples written out in standard notation
> for people who already read music. I will have to wait until after SCaLE
> 10X to find time to do it.
>
> There is also a free CC copyright class right after SCaLE on Moodle for
> Wikieducators  that I thought would be useful to take before working on the
> musical examples.
>
> Keep me posted on what you decide to do with Tam Tam and other musical
> Activities. I am very interested!

Thanks,