[Testing] 11.3.0 release candidate 4 (build 883) released

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat Oct 29 17:28:00 EDT 2011

Hi,

We're pleased to announce our 4th release candidate of our new
11.3.0 software release.

Information and installation instructions can be found here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/11.3.0

Quick links for those who know which files need to be grabbed and save
to USB disks:
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/candidate/883/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.5/os/candidate/883/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.75/os/candidate/883/

This is a signed release candidate that can be installed on all XOs,
even those with security enabled.

We're looking for testing and feedback on all aspects of the system.
Thanks for any help you can offer, and for all the feedback that was
received throughout development.

Our scheduled release date is November 1st.

Please review the "Known problems" section of the release notes. Some
documented issues are carried over from previous releases, but others
are new and are things that we will aim to fix in the few weeks before
release, including:

XO-1.75
 Sound does not work in many activities (ticket #11296).
 There is no suspend/resume support yet.
 There is slight mouse cursor visual corruption in Sugar, and the
mouse cursor in GNOME appears odd, but is otherwise functional.

XO-1 users: we have identified a bug in the firmware releases shipped
during 11.3.0 development and in earlier 11.3.0 release candidate
builds 880 and 881.
Affected versions are Q2E46 and Q2E47. You can check which version you
are running in the Sugar 'Settings' dialog.
Unfortunately, a bug in the firmware update code means that these
firmware versions will not automatically upgrade to newer versions. We
have fixed this in Q2E48 (included in 11.3.0 build 882 onwards), but
existing users of Q2E46 and Q2E47 will need to update manually. Sorry
about that. The procedure is outlined here:
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11336#comment:8
Ask for help on these lists if needed.
Users of 11.2.0 and previous (who will be running older firmware
releases such as Q2E45) are not affected, and XO-1.5 and XO-1.75 users
are similarly unaffected.

Changes since build 882:

Camera use under Scratch on XO-1.5 no longer exhibits bad colors.

Upgrades from 11.2 will now prompt the user to update activities.

An XO-1.75 "third dot" boot hang is hopefully fixed.

uvc USB webcam driver is now available on XO-1.75

XO-1.75 kernel update includes some audio improvements - but we know
there are still issues.

XO-1 screen backlight will turn itself off upon inactivity again

XO-1.5 and XO-1.75 firmware updates included.

Closed tickets:
#11357 Boot freezing on third clock dot
#11297 Scratch: Camera quality in xo-1.5 is worst than in os874
#11304 11.3.0 build 8 is not dimming, powering off the screen backlight on XO-1
#11354 UVC webcam driver not available on XO-1.75
#11355 No software-update suggestion/prompt after an olpc-update
#11358 New XO-1.5 firmware Q3B22
#11360 New XO-1.75 firmware Q4C02