[Testing] [OLPC New Zealand] Testing Summary: 19 November 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Fri Nov 25 19:12:38 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 13:13 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_1.75_B1_ECOs#RTC_Problems suggests a fix.
>
> That should already have been applied to your unit, and the C1 units
> have a switch added to the power line of the RTC, according to
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO1.75_B1_C1_Changes#Fix_RTC_Power ... so even
> if the ECO wasn't applied on your unit, there's a chance it won't fix
> the problem.

Both of our XO-1.75 B1 laptops are loosing the time across a reboot
while on battery power (didn't try with AC). Last week clyde was keeping
time but bonnie was not.

I'm setting it with date -u and then hwclock --systohc. A second call to
hwclock returns the correct time. Is this the correct way to do it?

How do we confirm that the capacitor fix was applied? Is there a PCB
layout I an examine, or a guide to performing the ECO?

> You might try some forth code to work around the problem, setting the
> RTC to something reasonable during boot.

That will help with the certificates, but not the journal. In either
case the fix would be overwritten by a new build.

> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11425 has some details of how this can be
> done.  Doing it in the /boot/olpc.fth file before starting Linux might
> be one method.

Interesting.